MEF announces top 10 predictions for 2012
Posted by MUSTARD PR
First of all…Happy New Year! Hope you had a great Christmas.
Start of new year…cue predictions, reviews of the year just gone, what we can expect, what to look out for etc etc etc.
Well, the MEF (Mobile Entertainment Forum) have a pretty good track record of knowing what is hot or not so their predictions for 2012 make very interesting reading – Nokia making a comeback with the help of Microsoft stood out for us:
1. NFC: 2012 will be the year that the industry ‘gets’ NFC and there will be increased investment with some spectacular trials, but it will fail to have a significant commercial impact.
2. Security: Regulators worldwide will be brought face-to-face with the security challenges of in-app billing, and new regulations will emerge.
3. Privacy: As Smartphones and mobile connected devices continue to become more widespread, increasingly complex and diverse attitudes towards privacy will cause chaos in the industry.
4. Nokia/Microsoft Alliance: The Smartphone landscape will evolve into a three horse race, accelerated by local focus in high growth markets.
5. HTML 5: Operators will face yet more capacity challenges arising from the surge in the use of HTML5 and the consequent stimulus to audio visual content.
6. SMS: Brands, content owners and retailers will retain SMS in their mobile toolkit to further engage consumers in content and commerce.
7. Games: 2012 will see mobile connected devices challenge consoles as the platform of choice for high-end gaming.
8. Mobile Payments: Carrier wallets and screen based payments will start to supersede PSMS in Atlantic markets.
9. Apps and multi-screen: The maturing mobile apps ecosystem will extend to infotainment in cars and the living room in 2012.
10. Geo-social: Location-based social commerce will replace social networking as the focus for mobile innovation by retailers and brands.
About MUSTARD PRWe’re a savvy boutique team of brand and communication consultants working across consumer and B2B markets. We deliver strategic and creative PR campaigns that get our clients noticed no matter who they are – from start-ups to major global corporations.
Posted on January 5, 2012, in tech and tagged 2012, Apps, geo-social, happy new year, HTML5, MEF, microsoft alliance, mobile innovation, Mobile payments, multi-screen, NFC, predictions, privacy, security, SMS, social location, Tech. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.